Wednesday, April 7, 2010

An anthropologists take on things

I'm currently reading a book for my Anthro 111 class called "The White Man Will Eat You!"  I just started the book, but within the first chapter 'Culture Shock' I can really relate to it.  The book goes on about how some people find that the culture shock is greater when returning to your home country.  As James Peoples and Garrick Bailey note, "deep immersion into other sociocultural systems leaves some of us unsure about our attachment to our own."  I spent 10 months in Sweden, and yes I know that is not long enough to really understand the entire culture, but I definitely feel that it had a great impact on me.  And sometimes I really do wonder if I have completely adjusted back to the American culture.  At times I still believe I'm in Europe, and that the laws are the same here.  As my good friend Jose likes to tell me a lot "You redneck, we are in America!"  =)  There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about Sweden/Europe for just a split second...           

No comments:

Post a Comment