Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas plans

Christmas is almost here!  I'm extremely excited for break.  
1.  I need it. 
2. It's one of the few breaks that we actually get, so might as well take advantage of it.  
3. It's Christmas and New Year combined into one break.
4. I'm going to North Sumatra, Indonesia to jungle trek!!!!  
I'm most excited for my jungle trek.  I finally get to see one of my favorite animals in the wild.  Can't ask for a better vacation.  I am strictly going to see the "Red Ape", known as the orangutan.  Indonesia is the only place that the orangutan still roams wild.  There are only 6,000 left in the wild and they are all in Indonesia.  Orangutans could be extincted in less than 10 years.  What amazes me most about these creatures is the fact that they are so similar to humans and that their DNA is 97% related to ours.  How can you not love them?  I will be trekking in the jungle for 4 days 3 nights.  I will be staying in a tent and eating food that is cooked over a fire.  I am excited to get in touch with nature and be able to really take in the "wild".  I will also travel to another area and ride elephants through the jungle.  I see this as good and bad.  Elephants shouldn't be used as our personal entertainment, but what they are doing with this program is using the elephant treks by looking out for illegal logging.  That is the biggest problem in Indonesia and the reason why orangutans could be extinct in LESS than 10 years.  The countdown begins, only 10 more days till I am on my flight to Indonesia...       

1 comment:

  1. Orangutan Outreach {:(|}
    Reach out and save the orangutans!
    Adopt an orangutan today!
    redapes.org

    ReplyDelete